At a recent town hall, Lauren Underwood asked what is on everyone’s mind: “What exactly is the Green New Deal and what exactly are they going to do?” This echoes her fellow Illinois Democrat, Senator Dick Durbin, who recently asked “what the heck is in this?”
Well, we know a lot about the Green New Deal and how much of a disaster it would be. A few of the lowlights include:
- An average cost of up to $650,000/household over the next 10 years
- Eliminating nuclear energy. This would devastate Illinois, the largest nuclear producing state in the country.
- “Build[ing] out high-speed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary.” Luckily there are no major airports in Chicagoland that would shut down.
- Payments to people who are “unwilling to work.”
- Requirements to retrofit every single building in America.
- Banning cows.
What more does Underwood need to know before making her decision on the Green New Deal?